Thursday, March 19, 2009

With no further delay...BEAGADOON

Way up in the highlands of Scotland, vacationing New Yorkers Tommy (Petey) and Jeff (Joe) had lost their way on their hunting trip. While they pondered where to go next, they hear the sound of singing coming from across the bridge...



"Beagadoon
Beagadooooooon
Sleeping under starry skies

Beagadoon
Beagadoooooooon
There my Furry Hound Dog Lies

Let the tennis balls surround us
Let the doggies bay above

Beagadooon
Beagadooooooon
In this Valley there'll be love!"

..and stumble upon a quaint little town, where the citizens were all dressed in old-fashioned garb.  "Is this some kind of cult?" asked Jeff.  No, they were told - this was Beagadoon.

Townspeople: Ruby, Scampi, Suzuki, Stanley of Gooberstan, Khyra, Sophie Brador, Stella of Gooberstan, Just Harry, Niamh, Snoop, Abby and Teka Toy

Tommy and Jeff had wandered in on Market Day. And this was an especially busy morning as there was to be a wedding later that day - Charlie Dalrymple (Eric Square Dog) was marrying Jeannie MacLaren (Toffee).

Charlie couldn't wait for the wedding as he told the townspeople in song...
"I used to be a rovin' lad.
A rovin' an' wanderin' life I had.
On any lass I'd grrrr, who would try to brush my fur.
But then one day, I saw a maid,
Who held out her paw, so' I spayed an' stayed.
An' now across the green, I'll go home with bonnie Jean."

But not everyone in Beagadoon was happy about the marriage - especially not Harry Beaton (Taffy) who told Jean (Toffee) that he loved her more and she'd be making a terrible mistake marrying Charlie.

Meanwhile, the lassies of the town were asking Fiona MacLaren (Rosie!!!) how she felt about her younger sister getting married before she did. As she sang to the lassies and her sister Annie (Gabbi), she was....

"Waitin' for my terrier, an' happy am I
to hold sit-stay till he comes strollin' by.
When he comes, my dearie, one sniff an' I'll know
That he's the terrier I've been wantin' so."

Arriving at the MacLaren house with Charlie, Tommy meet the lovely Fiona who is going off the hillside to pick heather for the wedding. Immediately enamored with this beguiling lass, Tommy insists on coming along with her...


"Can't we two go walking together,
Out beyond the hydrants and trees?
Out where there's a hillside of heather, 
Plenty of spots to sniff and pee...
That's what I'd like to do,
roll around in the heather, but with you!"

Back at the MacLaren house, Aunties (Bailey and Martha Basset) were helping Jeannie pack up her belongings to move to her new doghouse with Charlie. 

Meanwhile  Jeff has found himself in the company of the "Lacie of Beagadoon," Meg Brockie (international sensation Sophie Brador), a saucy gal who's yet to meet a leg she didn't want to hump. And she's looking at Jeff like he's a hot piece of bacon and she's on week 12 of Atkins...

Back at the MacLaren house, Charlie can't wait another minute to see his beautiful Bonnie Jean, but the Aunties will hear nothing of it! So instead, Charlie serenades Jeannie from outside her door...

"Come to me, sit for me, sniff me good day!
Darling, my darling tis all I can bay,
Just come to me, sit for me, sniff me good day,
Toss me a treat, and I'll be on my way."

Charlie's not the only one bewitched by love in Beagadoon—Tommy and Fiona are smitten kittens as well and of course, express themselves in song and dance....

"What a day this has been, 
what a rare mood I'm in,
why it's almost like being off-leash!

There's a smile on my face,
for the whole canine race,
why it's almost like being off-leash!

When we walked down the brae,
not a bark did we bay,
it was almost like being off-leash.

All the music of life seems to be,
like a treat bell that's ringing for me!
And from the way that I feel when that 
treat bell does peal,
I could swear I was running off leash!"

When the lovestruck pups return home, they meet Jeff on the way. Inside, the family pedigree has been brought out for the wedding. That's when Tommy and Jeff notice that the MacLaren sisters were whelped over 200 years ago! That makes them over 1,435 in dog years!!!

Fiona tells them that there's a secret about Beagadoon and takes them to meet Mr. Lundie (Hamish Westie) who will tell them the story...
Apparently, 200 years ago, Beagadoon was plagued by Puppy Mill-running witches. (Mr. Lundie asks Jeff and Tommy if they have witches where they come from and Jeff replies, "Oh, we have'em. But we pronounce it differently.") To protect Beagadoon, a miracle occurred—Beagadoon and it's residents would vanish into the Highland mist, to reappear in the world for one day every 100 years. That was Wednesday, today is Friday - two days in Brigadoon, but 200 years to the rest of the world. If any resident of Beagadoon should leave, the enchantment would be broken and Beagadoon would vanish forever. However, anyone is welcomed to stay if they truly love someone in Beagadoon.  As Fiona leaves to get ready for the wedding, Mr. Lundie assures Tommy that everyone is happy in Beagadoon.

The whole town turns out for the joyful wedding of Jeannie and Charlie, bedecked in their finery.  
Everyone's having a marvelous time, singing and drinking and catching balls and dancing, until Harry Beaton arrives with his sword dancers. (All the unneutered males ran home and hid.)


Sword dancers: Noah, Alfie and Marvin

At the conclusion of the dramatic dance,  Harry goes up to Jean to give her a good sniff, but she cries out and runs to Charlie's side. Harry declares that he loves Jeannie too much to see her with another dog and that he's leaving Beagadoon! And with that, he dashes off into the darkness!

Immediately, a search party is formed to go find Harry before he can leave the town borders of Beagadoon and it vanishes forever.  Many lives hang in the balance. While running in the woods, Tommy finds Fiona and declares his love for her—he has decided to stay with her in Beagadoon forever.

Left to right: Eric Square Dog, Asta, Kira, Teka Toy, Martha Basset, and Gabbi.

Suddenly, an anguished howl of pain is heard in the distance.... 

A heart-broken Archie Beaton (Stanley of Gooberstan) comes in carrying the limp body of his son Harry, while a lone piper (Ben Rotti) plays a mournful tune. Tommy, Meg and Jeff join the villagers during this tragic moment.

Before the wedded couple, Maggie Anderson (Stella of Gooberstan), who loved Harry but was spurned by him, dances the solemn piobrochead, a traditional funeral dance of mourning. (It also allows her to give his butt a final sniff.)

When Tommy tells Jeff that he has fallen in love with Fiona and plans on staying in Beagadoon, Jeff tells him that he's under some crazy Highland Hound spell. He also confesses that he accidentally killed Harry when he tripped him and Harry fell on one of Tanner's corn shanks.

Tommy tells Fiona that while he'll always love her, he doesn't trust his feelings and must leave. As the day ends, Fiona vanishes into the mist, her melodic voice lingering in Tommy's ears.

Four months later, Tommy is back in New York but can't forget Fiona. His fiancee Jane Ashton (Asta Urbanista) meets him at the Plaza bar and while she goes on and on about wedding plans, all Tommy can hear is Fiona. Torn between two worlds, Tommy calls off the wedding and leaves that night on the next Aire Ruby flight to Scotland.

Not sure what he'll find when he gets there, Tommy wanders the woods where he first found Beagadoon. "Why do dogs have to lose things - like their favorite tennis ball - to find out what they really mean?" he howls to the moon. 

Suddenly, a grumpy Auntie appears in her nightie on the bridge..."This has better be good" as she was awakened in the middle of the night — Tommy must really love Fiona. He looks back over the bridge and disappears into the mist with the wise Auntie, soon to be reunited forever with his love.


THE END
This has been a Relentlessly Huge Production.

And now to wait for the reviews to start pouring in....
 

63 comments:

Brownie said...

Popcorn Anyone? This was just incredible! Can I participate in Beagadoon 2? I think it would be great!

♥♥ The OP Pack ♥♥ said...

Pawesome, pawesome, pawesome - applaws, applaws, applaws. When does the DVD get released?

We were so enthralled with the whole production that we watched it twice already. Pretty soon, we will have all the lines memorized.

Congratulations! Bravo!!!!

Woo Hoos, the OP Pack

Dughallmor Beagles said...

Truly brilliant! Thank you Petey for casting us....the flowers and congratulations are already pouring in to rapturous applause while rave reviews are being prepared for print! I see the epic kissing scene remains on the cutting room floor....too raunchy for a family movie?
Petey? You there?? Come to think of it, where's Rosie? Hey, you're not....you're not still smooching under that bridge are you?
Fabulous slobbers, Snoop, Alfie & Gabbi xx

NAK and The Residents of The Khottage Now With KhattleDog! said...

KHAST
PAWTY
TYME


Ladies, gents, and Lacies: start those blenders!

What fun we had!

Hugz&Khysses,
Khyra

Dughallmor Beagles said...

...pssst....Petey....had to sneak back without the others....re. the sword dance scene....just wanted to let all the ladies out there know....umm, I mean my Mason Dixie....that erm....i'm not neutered either, they just shrink to the size of pine nuts at the sound of Lacie's shrieking....Scottish mist does no favours either...that stuff's cold!
Slobbers, Alfie the entire xx

Abby said...

Hi, Petey...

BRAVO!! Spectacular production...

Thank you for casting me as one of the Townspeople...What a thrilling experience...

Truly Brilliant, Petey...

Abby xxxooo

Gus said...

brilliant, brilliant, brilliant.

thank you for all the work and organization.

we are gonna go watch it again.

gussie

the magic sleigh said...

Wooo Woooo WOOOOWOOWOOOOOOOO!!!!!
If I had hands I would be clapping! great production and Scampi is so proud to be a townsperson, he is spinning in circles (as usual)
-Kira The BeaWootiful

Mason Dixie said...

Oh that was so brilliant, my Alfie a swordspup was just exhilarating to watch. I am all in a gust of all that work you did. Bravo Brabo

Joe Stains said...

omdog, Tanner's shank as the murder weapon, omdog Sophie looking at me like I was bacon! KUDOS! I love it! I love it! Petey you are so talented. I nominated this post for Post of the Month over at the Bone Zone, you BETTER win!! omdog! This was amazing!

Dexter said...

My stars, Petey, that is one fantastic movie. I am going to watch it again in the morning when I am not so sleepy and can appreciate the lyrics better.

Thanks for the cameo.

Slobbers,
Mango

Lorenza said...

Amazing! The Best I've ever seen!
Congratulations!
Kisses and hugs
Lorenza

Alastriona, The Cats and Dogs said...

We gives it 16 paws (that's all we have). We loves it!!!!!!

We also have an award for you. ~S,S,C & F

Anonymous said...

Petey, that was fantastic! Well directed, well acted, perfectly costumed - WOW! Zeke watched it with me (he follows me everywhere) and he gives it two ears up!

See ya!
Joey

Asta said...

Bwilliant! Smashing!!! A Powscaw winning film in evewy way!!!!!

The pawfowmances wewe flawless, the sets and costoomes amazing! The choweogwaphy wasn't bad eithew..even the extwas wewe at theiw vewy best..I think Joey did the best job of captoowing his chawactew..what Dwama!!!,What timing..Kudos!!! Petey!smoochie kisses
ASTA
pee ess did you have to make me look like such a lush?

Baby Rocket Dog and Hootie said...

What a fantastic show! SO in keeping with the original play, yet fresh and new! The costumes were flawless, as was the acting. Bravo! Encore! We'll look for more of your work in the future. XOXO-
BabyRocketDog & Hootie

Stanley said...

I laughed! I cried! I peed!

WHAT a performance! Everydog was at their best and I was riveted by the story. Even my sissy, Stella, was brilliant! All the actors, the costumes,the music... just AireMazing!!

Petey & Mango, thanks for all the hard work! It really paid off! Thanks for letting me be part of it!

Goober love,
Stanley

Noah the Airedale said...

Bravo encore encore
What a performance. Everyone was brilliant. Such talent!!!
An academy award winner for sure Petey. Well done matie. We all loved being part of it.

tailwags
Noah Willow Tess Lucy

Martha said...

Oh Petey
This has to be the best movie ever. It had romance and tragedy with twists and turns along the way. The music and the lyrics were the best we have heard and believe me our mum is no stranger to musicals!
The costumes were truly spectaculor - it is hard to pick our favourite scene although we will go back and watch it all again.
Our mum needs a tissue for every good movie and this was no exception.
We expect several Oscar nominations following this movie!
What a production team - what a cast - what more can we say!!
with love
from your favourite aunties xxxxx

AB clan said...

Wonderfull performance.
You act and sing in the best way.
We cannot wait the next performance!
ViVi & AB

Suzuki said...

A masterpiece... I barked... I howled...
Big licks to you
Suzuki
xxx

Molly the Airedale said...

FABULOUS! You all did a fabulous job! We thoroughly enjoyed it!

Love ya lots,
Maggie and Mitch

BenTheRotti said...

A Masterpiece! Fantastic script, casting, lyrics, production and SO much fun to work on!! Not to mention the after shoot trailer parties!! I'll keep my lips sealed on the backstage stuff though!!

My Khyra was so wonderful.. everyone was.. a truly wonderful experience, thank you!!

Ben xxxx

The Black and Tans. said...

What a truly remarkable production.

Everybody worked so hard to achieve this level of excellence.

Petey you have been brilliant organising Beagadoon and putting up with the histrionics of some of the actors. (mentioning no names..but he is standing next to me with his jaws open).

You deserve at least 10 Oscars for this film.

Molly xx

Jake of Florida said...

What else is there to say??? APPLAWS!!APPLAWS!! APPLAWS!!!

Witty lyrics. Authentic costuming. Drama. Comedy. Romance. Perfect ending.

I know we had very minor roles in the off-stage chorus, but it was exciting to be even a small part of such a fabulous production and get to sniff such a talented cast! And methinks I did spy me (of the reversed ear), Jake, when Charlie tells the townspeople about his love!!! I was honored to be on stage at such a dramatic moment.

Petey: we know you have a great future ahead of you and we look forward to seeing your name in lights again!!! Finians Rainbow, anyone???

Jake and Just Harry

The Airechicks said...

We laughed cried and peed our seats all at the same time -

This the BEST show we've ever been to...

LOVED IT - LOVE IT - LOVED IT....

The cast works so well together like they have been acting with each other all their lifes...

We give it 6 treats - a MUST see....

P.S. - Hope you can get the deposit on the theater back - it was an accident after all....


XXoooXXoooXXoooXxooo

Nibbles Treats said...

Bravo! Encore! We loved it! All your hard work payed off because it was simply brilliant!

Tinkerbell, Oscar and Tucker

Lucia said...

Bravissimo, miei amici, bravissimo!!!! I just saw the reviews in Pawriety and they are MAGNIFICO!

Petey, eccellente creative work, mio amico! You and your cast and crew outdid yourselves on this one!! Applaws, applaws!!

Tanti baci!
Lucia

D.K. Wall said...

Spectacular. We give it 24 paws up (not to be confused with afternoon nap time at Chez Herd)!

Daisy said...

Bravo! Bravo! It was awesome! Drama, romance, tragedy, fantasy, it had it all. I think your production of Beagadoon is sure to win many awards!

Sophie Brador said...

Petey! The movie was terrific. Really, one of the best ever. I am a bit disappointed that I didn't get more screen time. What happened to all those scenes we shot with me smooching up Joey? My agent may be in touch about that. I am so happy I could make this such a fantastic movie.

xo
SB

P.S. My mom says to tell you that I am being a diva and not to pay any attention. She also sends hugs and kisses to you and thinks you are just the most adorable Cairn Terrier she has ever met.

karensbrae said...

Fantastic performance! When are you going to release the film by far surpasses the original version.

The Army of Four said...

Oh, MY! I laughed, I cried, I rejoiced.....
I'm looking for the kittens you mentioned (smitten kittens...) and can't find them. Heeeeere, kitty, kitty, kitty!
Love,
Ammy

Stella said...

Astounding, pups, simply astounding. Something to watch again and again.

Congratulations to all involved!

Kisses,
Stella

Arran, Arthur and Mum said...

Wowzers!! This be FANTASTIC! What lots of hard work went into it too. I loves all the songs, I can see big no. 1 hits in the dog choon charts.
I is soo glad it had a happy ending, I was worried for a while there.
Mum says if I say encore you has to do more. So Encore!
~lickies, Ludo

Cookie said...

Ahh, what a wonderful movie! I LOVED it! This inspires me to write my own movie . . . Chanelle says we have to wait until she gets her own computer back, though. She's not allowed to use the movie editing softward whatever stuff on Papa's laptop. :(

Opy - the Original GruffPuppy said...

Hi,

You have been nominated for Awesome Blog Award over at the Bone Zone - head on over and cast your vote :)

love

opy

Opy - the Original GruffPuppy said...

Hi,

You have been nominated for Post of the Month over at the Bone Zone - head on over and cast your vote :)

love

opy

Patience-please said...

Congratulations on your nominations!!! You surely deserve them!

wags from the whippets

Eric said...

Mr Director. I bow to you my bestest friend. Fabbie production. Encore encore!!! The drama, the script, Gussie's songs, the AMAZING stills,the dancing and of course, my talented fellow actors. Out of this world. I applaud them all. But most of all you. Inspiring Petey.Bravo!!! Three cheers old boy!!!I'd practice that well deserved acceptance speech right now. Just so you know you can make yourself overheard over Lacie's screeching

Though I'm a bit wagging worried bout poor Asta been jilted and will never look at a corn shank in the same way again after poor Taffy's unfortunate trip.

Yep. Looking forward to the video coming out and the royalties.Don't want mine in corn shanks thanks. Orange cuzs would be pawfect.

need to go sing to my sweetie now...On any lass I'd grrrr, who would try to brush my fur... HAAAAAAAaaaaaa!!!

Wiry wags, Eric xxx

Scruffy, Lacie and Stanley's Place said...

BRAVO BRAVO BRAVO....

Mad clapping by the terriers...

Standing ovation!!!!!

More clappin' whistlin' and

SHRIEKING!!!

Oh Petey and Mango...we're astounded by the caliber of this film!!!!!

The lighting, casting, script, photoshopping...um er photography...

AMAZING!!!!!!!!

We bow to ya guys!!

Actually, Lacie already took off for the cast pawty...We think we hear the blender!!!!!

Thank you Petey...we second the nomination for postie of the month!!!!!

Loud barks!!!

Scruffy, Lacie and Stan

Pee ess...was Asta supposed to look like a lush???

Rosie said...

WOW - Doggoneit - How did I miss the curtain call for this production?

doyle and mollie said...

bravo, bravo!!

Toffee said...

Oh. My. Dog. What an incredible production - we were shall I say "dog tired" from all of the rehearsals but it really paid off! Having said that Petey YOU put in tireless hours I cannot believe that you even have time and energy to go on the promo tour!

Looks like they got President Obama to fill in when you had to cancel your appearance on Leno last night, eh?!

Thank you much for allowing me to play such an impawtent role; I am honored.,.and the pup-a-razzi! I have to send my people out to do my business as they have been "hounding" me!

Agatha and Archie said...

Petey Petey Petey,IF THIS IS NOT OSCAR MATERIAL WHAT IS?? We laughed we cried we sat on the edge off our chairs in anticipation the costumes were the best we have ever seen,the sheer drama and angst portrayed by the stars......really does it get better than this? Speilberg move over...we are going to watch it again and again once Pl2 can pull herself together because she can not stop laughing.... What are the plans for the next production?? Love Your adoring fans A+A

Opy - the Original GruffPuppy said...

Hi,

You have been nominated for Photo of the Month over at the Bone Zone - head on over and cast your vote :)

love

opy

LuLu and LoLLy! said...

TWO PAWS UP! TWO PAWS UP! Truly fabulus!! Finally, a musikul that makes sense!! Love, your PaLs, LuLu and LoLLy!

Anonymous said...

Bravo! Bravo! Well done to all involved, all the hard work paid off, a magnificent dogduction indeed.

Sorry I have been quiet, there is a lot going on here, but we really enjoyed it all.

Any drama with a character called Jeannie in it would bound to be my favourite too!

lotsaluv and many appreciative licks, for your hard work and fun and laughter this whole thing has produced, just what we needed after our sad times in DWB just lately.

Mucho love, yet again, Marvin xxxxx

oh and Jeannie xxxxx

Jake and Bathsheba said...

WOW! What a production!


This acknowledgement is long overdue. You were so kind to follow Daisy's suggestion and leave a comforting comment upon my beloved Jake’s passing last month. Thank you for your support during this difficult time for me. Jake’s memory will forever live in my heart and mind.

~J&B’s Mom Nancy

Tee said...

encore!! encore!!

Licks and Wags

Tuffy and the Dog Woods Pack!

Jake of Florida said...

Yes!!

When I was a pup I peed on the floor
Until my aunts said “Not anymore.”
I pawed at the windows and I sniffed that floor,
And tried to reach the handle of the big front door.
I tried so hard to go outside
That now they all hail me far and wide!

Mango the Maltese kiddo said...

My my my,
I held my breath, I didn't wink, I laughed and cried the whole time of Beagadoon.
I'd like to order the special edition DVD, 100 copies for all my girlfriends.
That is the movie of the century, the cast was well selected, sound, costumes(do I spell it right?), screenplay, light, all cooked to the perfection.
The Beagadoon will surely steal Oscar next year, it's second to none!

Suzuki said...

Hi Petey!
I thought I would stop by to let you know that if you are lookin' fur love you should stop by my blog as my brother Scooby has started a new "business". Come by and check it out.
Big licks to you
Suzuki
xxx

Dughallmor Beagles said...

Errm....ahem....Suzuki?? What do you think you're playing at?? Where have you been for the last few weeks, asleep? What a cheek!!
Hehe, just kiddin Suzi, I trust him anyway!
Rosie-Posie kisses for MY Petey xxxx

MJ's doghouse said...

wow that was AMAZING......VERY VERY AMAZING...MY MANGO DID A GREAT JOB PUTTING THAT TOGETHER...and Petey you are joe were fantastic...everyone was so great...ummmm when does it come out in video

Snowy and Crystal said...

oh what a fun post ^_^ we really enjoyed it .. thanks for sharing pal


Please stop by our blog to collect the "friendship rose award" that we passed to you

licks

Anonymous said...

Oooh - this is absolutely fantastic, Petey!!!! And everybody else on the cast too!

Wow! You guys must have worked so hard at it...I can't imagine. I don't think Blogland has ever seen anything like it!

Petey,thank you for your generous offer of appearing in my Rachael Hale photoshoot - I wish you could have!! Your handsome face would have completed the picture! Unfortunately, we had to make do without you...although we did have a little Border Terrier and a macho like Schnauzer providing lots of testosterone in the shot!

Slobbers,
Honey the Great Dane

Bae Bae said...

That's so pawsome... I can't wait for the DVD (with director's cut) to be release.

I spot myself there too. *smiles*

~ Bae

Rosie said...

I had to come back and see this again - truly amazing work!!

Chef said...

BRAVO! BRAVO!! Fantastique! Merveilleux, mes amies de Beagdoon!
Clap clap clap. What an awesome show. I'm on my feet - Encore! Encore! I think you should be signed up for another performance. Or take it on tour!

xox
Chef

Anonymous said...

This is amazing and so much work! Great job!!!

Wags,
Pruett and Daphne

Koobuss said...

Bravo!! Bravo!!

Excellent job, Petey!!


Love and Koobuss Kisses,
Koobie

Golden Samantha said...

This is a "relentlessly late" review, but couldn't resist adding a comment - spectacular!!! What a lot of work, in fact, I can't imagine how it was done - truly extraordinary! (I think I was getting sick during the performance and had surgery, so missed the actual show, but heard all about it)! BRAVO!!!
xo Sammie